An authentic Scottish recipe from www.clans.org.uk
3lb stewing steak (1.5 kg or six US cups).
5 oz bacon (150g).
1 lb chopped mushrooms (500g or two US cups).
8 small onions.
4 tablespoons olive oil.
4 cloves of crushed garlic.
2 tablespoons flour.
1 bottle of young claret.
salt and fresh black pepper.
1 teaspoon sugar.
bunch of fresh herbs.
Serve with boiled potatoes sprinkled with chopped parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 300F/150C/Gas Mark 2.
- Meanwhile, cut the stewing steak into one inch cubes (3cm).
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and brown the beef cubes.
- Place beef in a casserole, add the garlic and sprinkle the flour over the meat.
- Place in the oven uncovered for 15 minutes to ensure browning (stir every 5 mins).
- Then add wine, seasoning and herbs.
- Cover and simmer for 3 hours until the meat is tender.
- When the beef is 20 minutes from cooked:
- Fry the bacon till lightly browned.
- Add the onions and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, cover and cook gently for another ten minutes.
- Remove beef from the oven and stir in the bacon/onion/mushroom mix.
- Heat casserole for a further ten minutes to disperse the bacon falvour.
Butter the potatoes if you want to add a final touch.
(note: some like to add the bacon mix half way through - especially if smoked bacon is used)
Recipe listing . .