Colcannon or Rumbledethumps
An authentic recipe from www.clans.org.uk
Some say this is from Northern Ireland, some say from Scotland, some say Dalriada !
- 1 pound potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 pound cabbage, boiled and drained
- 1 large onion, shredded
- 1 ounce butter or margarine
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 oz Scots cheddar cheese
(Some use cabbage Autumn/Winter and Spring Onion Spring/Summer)
For a baked finish, put it into a greased oven-proof dish and cook at GasMark6/400F/200C until it is browned (add second half of cheese as top-dressing near end).
Recipe listing . .
- Mash the potatoes.
- Chop the cabbage and onion.
- Melt butter in large suacepan.
- Mix in the cabbage and onion and cook till soft but not brown.
- Add potatoes and half the cheese and mix well.
- Keep saucepan over a low heat to keep it hot.
- Season to taste and serve piping hot.