Shepherd Cottage Pie
An authentic Scottish recipe from www.clans.org.uk
- Minced lamb - 1 lb (450g)
- Potatoes - 1.5 lb (700g)
- Large onion
- Mushrooms - 2 oz (50g)
- Bay leaf
- 1 large or 2 med. carrots
- Plain flour - 1 oz (25g)
- Tomato puree - 1 tbsp
- Butter - 1 oz (25g)
- Milk - 4 tbsp
- Lamb or beef stock - half pint (300ml)
- Cheese - 2 oz (50g)
- Fry the lamb for 10 minutes with the chopped onion, bay leaf, sliced mushrooms and diced carrots.
- Add the flour and stir for a minute over the heat.
- Blend in the stock and tomato puree.
- Continue cooking while stirring till the mixture thickens.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Start the potatoes boiling.
- Remove the bayleaf from the mixture when it has cooked for 25 minutes.
- Place the mixture in a 3 pint or 2 litre ovenproof serving dish.
- Drain the potatoes when done (20 mins), and mash with the butter and milk.
- Spread potatoes on top of the mixture and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven at GasMark6/200C/400F.