An authentic Scottish recipe from www.clans.org.uk
- 8oz flour
- 6 oz butter
- 5oz caster or granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1oz blanched almonds
- 1.5oz mixed peel
- 6oz each of raisins, currants, sultanas
- grated rind and juice of lemon
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons whisky
- 2 tablespoons boiled milk and 1 tablespoon sugar
Recipe listing . .
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl.
- When it is creamy, add the four eggs one at a time, plus a spoonful of flour with each, beating well all the time.
- Stir in the fruits and nuts (no nibbling :-).
- Add the rest of the flour, (sifted with the baking powder) and the whisky.
- If the mixture is too stiff add more milk.
- Place mixture in an 8-inch greased and lined cake tin.
- Flatten the top with wet hands.
- Cover with foil or greaseproof paper and bake at GasMark3/325F/170C for two hours.
- Halfway through, take off the foil/paper and make concentric circles with the split almonds on the top of the cake.
- Check the cake with a skewer near the end of the time - if it is wet in the middle, put it back for more time - test each 5 minutes thereafter.
- A few minutes before cooking is finished (centre is now dry) brush the top with the sweetened milk to make a dry glaze.
- When cooked, keep in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out on a wired tray.
- When cooled - store in an airtight container.