Scotch Pancakes - Drop Scones
An authentic Scottish recipe from www.clans.org.uk
- 8 oz plain flour
- level teaspoon cream of tartar
- level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 5 teaspoons caster sugar
- standard egg
- quarter pint of milk
Serve warm with butter plus jam, jelly, honey.
- Heat a heavy frying pan or girdle and grease/oil lightly.
- Sift together the flour, salt, cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda and caster sugar.
- Make a well and add the egg and some of the milk.
- Mix the flour into the egg and milk, gradually adding more milk, till you have a thick batter.
- Drop a small splash of batter on the greased pan - bubbles will rise in a few seconds if it is hot enough.
- Drop on enough mixture to make individual small pancakes / scones.
- When the underside is brown and bubbles break on the top, turn the pancakes and cook the other sides.
- You will need to regrease the pan as it dries.
Try buttering them and sprinkling brown sugar (with or without lemon / lime).
Find a new way to make a Scotch Pancake go zing !
(Did someone say chocolate sauce :-)
Recipe listing . .