An authentic Scottish recipe from www.clans.org.uk
- 6oz plain flour
- 4oz soft butter
- 2oz caster (granulated) sugar
- 1 oz cornflour (cornstarch)
Recipe listing . .
- Mix the butter and sugar together till pale and creamy.
- Sieve the flour and cornflour into the bowl and mix well.
- Spread a small amount of flour on the work surface and place the dough on this.
- Shake a little flour on to dough and roll it to about quarter inch thick.
- Prick dough with a fork and cut into rounds (or strips) with a cutter.
- (If you want one large shortbread round, pinch the edges with thumb and finger all round).
- Use a palette knife to lift the shortbread onto an oiled baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 325F/170C/Gas Mark 3.
- Shortbread is ready when pale brown and crisp - if not, return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove shortbread from oven.
- Immediately shake caster/granulated sugar on the top of the shortbread.
- Use a palette knife to move them to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight tin once they are cold.