An authentic Scottish recipe from www.clans.org.uk
- 4 oz cold, diced lamb
- 1 and a half lb potatoes, peeled and sliced.
- 2 large onions thinly sliced.
- 1 tablespoon of dripping (fat) or cooking oil.
- Stock or water.
- Salt and pepper, nutmeg / all-spice seasoning.
- Chopped parsley or chives or syboes.
Note : some recipes use Lorne sausage instead of whole meat - an echo of its humble beginnings and much preferred by many.
Recipe listing . .
- Heat the dripping/oil in a large pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Add layers of sliced potatoes / onion / meat.
- Add enough stock or water to cover (or only half that if you prefer stovies drier).
- Season the dish thoroughly - salt, pepper, nutmeg, all-spice.
- Cover and cook on a low to moderate heat for about 30 minutes.
- Shake the pan to avoid sticking.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley or chives.