Sausage Toad in the Hole
An authentic Scottish recipe from www.clans.org.uk
- half pound (250g) sausages (choose and experiment)
A tasty meal for kids and adults using any kind of sausage to suit your taste.
- 3 ounces (90g) flour
- 10 fluid ounces (300ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces (125g) grated cheese (some like it strong)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
Recipe listing . .
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.
- Add the cooking oil to a deep pie dish or similar.
- Add sausages and brown all over.
- Meanwhile, sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl and stir in grated cheese.
- In another bowl, beat milk, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Stir some of the milk mixture into the flour to make a smooth, heavy batter.
- Let the batter stand for 5 minutes before stirring in remaining milk mixture.
- Arrange the sausages in the deep-dish pie pan before adding the mixture.
- (Cut in pieces, make a spoked wheel, make rows, etc.)
- (Some use a cake dish and do individual toads in each compartment).
- However you arrange them, pour the batter over them.
- Lower oven heat to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 and bake till batter is puffed and browned (30 minutes).
- Serve with potatoes and vegetables of choice.