An authentic Scottish recipe from www.clans.org.uk
- 6 ounces (175g) wholemeal flour
- 6 ounces (175g) white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ounces (60g) butter / margarine
- 2 teaspoons of syrup
- quarter pint (5 fluid ounces / 150ml) milk
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Rub in the fat until mix is like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the melted syrup.
- Add enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface.
- Roll out thin (quarter inch).
- Cut into rounds of about 1 to 2 inches (~4cm).
- Put the rounds on a floured baking sheet.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5 for 10-15 minutes.
Serve hot with butter (add jam for extra joy !)
Recipe listing . .